The Academy of Finland’s Flagship Programme is an instrument that supports high-quality research and increases the societal impact emerging from the research. The Finnish Flagships represent an effective mix of close cooperation with business and society, adaptability and a strong commitment from host organisations.
The Flagships create future know-how and sustainable solutions to societal challenges and promote economic growth by, for example, developing new business opportunities.
At present, the Flagship Programme comprises six Flagships. The host organisations include six universities, two research institutes and Helsinki University Hospital. Between 2019 and 2022, the organisations will fund the Flagships with a total of 320 million euros. The Flagships have also secured 100 million euros in EU funding. The Academy of Finland’s funding contribution to the Flagship Programme comes to 54.5 million euros. By providing substantial long-term funding, the programme accelerates active collaboration between different actors and facilitates the development and expansion and systematic operations.
In addition, the Finnish Government’s supplementary budget for 2020 allocated 25 million euros to the Academy for a third call.
Flagships and host organisations
6G-Enabled Wireless Smart Society & Ecosystem | University of Oulu
Finnish Centre for Artificial Intelligence | Aalto University, University of Helsinki & VTT
Competence Centre for the Materials Bioeconomy | Aalto University & VTT
Digital Precision Cancer Medicine Flagship | University of Helsinki & Helsinki University Hospital
Inequalities, Interventions and New Welfare State | University of Turku & Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare
Flagship on Photonics Research and Innovation| University of Tampere, Aalto University, VTT & University of Eastern Finland
- Academy of Finland announces funding for Finnish Flagships, research infrastructures and RDI partnership networks (30 Jun 2020)
- Academy of Finland selects four new flagships (8 Jan 2019)
- 8 applications go through to second stage of Academy of Finland’s Flagship Programme call (10 Jan 2018)
- Academy of Finland selects first two competence clusters to the new Flagship Programme (18 Apr 2018)
Finnish Flagships – high-impact competence centres
- The Flagship Programme has organised two calls; both included 15 applications reviewed.
- In all, 205 international experts participated in the review.
- Applications from ten universities and six government research institutes
- Success rate 20% (of applications reviewed)
- The Flagships have long-term plans covering eight years.
- The Flagship term is 2019–2026.
- Collaborators include large enterprises, SMEs and start-ups, educational institutions, hospitals and other public actors
- During the eight-year period, there will be an estimated EUR 9 billion of activity in the Flagship areas.
- The majority of this funding comes from the business sector.
Inquiries and more information
- Flagship Programme Subcommittee
- Brochure: The Finnish Flagships – Breaking the Ice for a Better Future (PDF)
- Maiju Gyran, Senior Science Adviser, tel. +358 295 335 015
- Sirpa Nuotio, Senior Science Adviser, tel. +358 295 335 082
- Jukka Tanskanen, Science Adviser, tel. +358 295 335 071
- Katri Laitinen, Project Officer, tel. +358 295 335 071
- general questions: flagship(at)aka.fi
Our email addresses are in the format firstname.lastname(at)aka.fi.