The Strategic Research Council (SRC) is an indepedent body established within the Research Council of Finland that provides funding to long-term and programme-based research aimed at finding solutions to the major challenges facing Finnish society.
Strategic Research Council 1 Jan 2022–31 Dec 2024
- Chair: Vice President Anu Kaukovirta, Natural Resources Institute Finland
- 1st Vice Chair: Director Mikael Hildén, Finnish Environment Institute
- 2nd Vice Chair: Professor Heli Ruokamo, University of Lapland
- Project Director Kari Herlevi, Sitra
- Research Professor Heikki Hiilamo, Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare
- Director Mikael Hildén, Finnish Environment Institute
- Professor Anne Kovalainen, University of Turku
- Head of Development and Innovation Elina Lehtomäki, Caruna Oy
- Director Jussi Ronkainen, South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences
- Professor Heli Ruokamo, University of Lapland
- Professor Antti Ylä-Jääski, Aalto university.
The projects to be funded are selected by the SRC. The SRC is also responsible for project follow-up and impact assessment. The projects are selected based on a review of their scientific quality, societal relevance and impact. The main themes of SRC research programmes are decided by the Finnish Government.