The Board of the Research Council of Finland decides on the general policies and objectives of the Research Council based on the objectives negotiated with the Ministry of Education, Science and Culture. The Board brings together the work of the research councils, the Strategic Research Council and the Finnish Research Infrastructure Committee. It also promotes the fields of each research council, as well as the fields operating between two or more councils.
The Board allocates appropriations between the research councils and the FIRI Committee for different purposes. It decides the plans for the Research Council's activities and finances, the draft budget and the performance agreement. It also approves the financial statements and the annual report.
In addition to a chair, the Board has at least five and at most seven members who represent extensive and excellent scientific expertise.
The Board is appointed by the Finnish Government for a three-year term. The term of the current Board spans 1 Jan 2022–31 Dec 2024.
- Chair: Professor Johanna Myllyharju, University of Oulu
- Vice-chair: Professor Martti Kauranen, University of Tampere
- Head of Domestic Economic Process Essi Eerola, Bank of Finland
- Professor Klaus Elenius, University of Turku
- Technology Director Atte Haapalinna, Okmetic Oy
- Professor Kirsi Tirri, University of Helsinki
- 24 February
- 27 April
- 5 June
- 16–17 August
- 20 September
- 8 November
- 11 December