Each year, we present the Academy of Finland Awards to promising researchers. The candidates must be Academy Research Fellows or work as Academy-funded Postdoctoral Researchers or Clinical Researchers or as principal investigators of an Academy Project. Nominations are submitted by our research councils to the Board, which makes the final award decisions. The winners are presented with a mouth-blown ornament entitled “The Moment”, designed by Miia Liesegang.
The Research Council of Finland presents awards to researchers who have demonstrated exceptional scientific audacity, creativity or open-mindedness in their work or have significantly promoted scientific research or the work of a researcher, increased the public’s interest in science, contributed to public debate in society or otherwise promoted the significance, utilisation and impact of research in society, and whose scientific careers are still mostly ahead of them.
2023 marks the twentieth time the Academy of Finland Awards will be awarded.
Academy of Finland Award for 2022: Riikka Puhakka
Academy of Finland Award for 2022: Ville Vuorinen
Videos of previous winners are available on our YouTube channel.
List of winners
- 2022: Riikka Puhakka and Ville Vuorinen
- 2021: Emmi Helle and Eliisa Lotsari
- 2020: Teemu Lyytikäinen and Mikko Sipilä
- 2019: Tiina Sikanen and Emilia Korkea-aho
- 2018: Arri Priimägi and Mari Pihlatie
- 2017: Matti Jalasvuori and Ville Kivimäki
- 2016: Kaisa Matomäki and Hélder Santos
- 2015: Tuuli Lähdesmäki and Lauri Nummenmaa
- 2014: Irmeli Mustalahti and Petri Ala-Laurila
- 2013: Sven Bossuyt and Kari Kalliokoski
- 2012: Anna-Liisa Laine and Mari Sandell
- 2011: Tapio Lokki and Mikko Salo
- 2010: Heli Skottman and Sampsa Hyysalo
- 2009: Miia Kivipelto and Otso Ovaskainen
- 2008: Hille Koskela and Minna Halme
- 2007: Hannes Lohi and Jan Lundell
- 2006: Teivo Teivainen and Jyri-Pekka Mikkola
- 2005: Ilpo Vattulainen and Tomas Roslin
- 2004: Hanna Tuomisto and Anna-Stiina Jääskeläinen
- 2003: Jari Ehrnrooth and Johanna Mappes