Each year, we present the Academy of Finland Awards to promising researchers. The recipients must be Academy Research Fellows or work as Academy-funded Postdoctoral Researchers. Nominations are submitted by our research councils to the Board, which makes the final award decisions. The winners are presented with a mouth-blown ornament entitled “The Moment”, designed by Miia Liesegang.
The Academy of Finland Award for Scientific Courage is granted to a researcher who has shown exceptional scientific audacity, creativity or innovation in research.
The Academy of Finland Award for Social Impact is granted to a researcher who has significantly contributed to increasing public awareness of scientific research, actively contributed to public debate in society, or strengthened the application of science and research in society.
Academy of Finland Award for Scientific Courage 2020: Teemu Lyytikäinen
Academy of Finland Award for Social Impact 2020: Mikko Sipilä
Videos of previous winners are available on our YouTube channel.
List of winners:
- 2020: Teemu Lyytikäinen and Mikko Sipilä
- 2019: Tiina Sikanen and Emilia Korkea-aho
- 2018: Arri Priimägi and Mari Pihlatie
- 2017: Matti Jalasvuori and Ville Kivimäki
- 2016: Kaisa Matomäki and Hélder Santos
- 2015: Tuuli Lähdesmäki and Lauri Nummenmaa
- 2014: Irmeli Mustalahti and Petri Ala-Laurila
- 2013: Sven Bossuyt and Kari Kalliokoski
- 2012: Anna-Liisa Laine and Mari Sandell
- 2011: Tapio Lokki and Mikko Salo
- 2010: Heli Skottman and Sampsa Hyysalo
- 2009: Miia Kivipelto and Otso Ovaskainen
- 2008: Hille Koskela and Minna Halme
- 2007: Hannes Lohi and Jan Lundell
- 2006: Teivo Teivainen and Jyri-Pekka Mikkola
- 2005: Ilpo Vattulainen and Tomas Roslin
- 2004: Hanna Tuomisto and Anna-Stiina Jääskeläinen
- 2003: Jari Ehrnrooth and Johanna Mappes