The Finnish Research Infrastructure Committee (FIRI Committee) at the Academy of Finland monitors and develops Finnish and international research infrastructure activity, provides funding to infrastructure projects and monitors funded projects. The Committee also takes care of other infrastructure tasks as assigned to it by the Academy Board.
- Chair: Vice President for Research Riitta Maijala, Academy of Finland
- Vice Chair: Director Erja Heikkinen, Ministry of Education and Culture
- President and CEO Johanna Buchert, Natural Resources Institute Finland
- Associate Research Professor Anni Huhtala, VATT Institute for Economic Research
- Professor Juha Hämäläinen, Research Council for Culture and Society, Academy of Finland
- Rector Keijo Hämäläinen, University of Jyväskylä
- Ministerial Adviser Pirjo Kutinlahti, Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment of Finland
- Director Mika Lautanala, Business Finland
- Rector Jukka Mönkkönen, University of Eastern Finland
- Rector Ilkka Niemelä, Aalto University
- Rector Riitta Rissanen, Lapland University of Applied Sciences
- Professor Mika Rämet, Research Council for Biosciences, Health and the Environment, Academy of Finland
- Vice rector Hanna Snellman, University of Helsinki
- President and CEO Antti Vasara, VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland Ltd
- Professor Minnamari Vippola, Research Council for Natural Sciences and Engineering, Academy of Finland
- Rector Mari Walls, Tampere University
Counsellor of Education Petteri Kauppinen from the Ministry of Education and Culture is a permanent expert on the Committee.
Based on the strategy for Finland’s research infrastructures, the FIRI Committee will open roadmap and funding calls and, together with other actors, develop national and international research infrastructure activities.
The roadmap call based on the strategy was opened in April 2020. In the call, projects applied for a chance to be included in Finland’s new research infrastructure roadmap for 2021–2024.
See the strategy brochure:
The roadmap for Finnish research infrastructures is a document that defines the significant national research infrastructures within the Finnish research infrastructure ecosystem.
The roadmap also lists Finnish partnerships in ESFRI projects (European Strategy Forum on Research Infrastructures) as well as international infrastructures where Finland is a member state and local infrastructures of key importance to research organisations.
The roadmap for national infrastructures in Finland 2021–2024 will be drawn up during 2020.
29 high-level infrastructures selected to Finland’s national research infrastructure roadmap (Academy of Finland press release, 11 December 2020)
More about the roadmap: