Finnish Research Infrastructure Committee
The Finnish Research Infrastructure Committee (FIRI Committee) at the Academy of Finland monitors and develops Finnish and international research infrastructure activity, provides funding to infrastructure projects and monitors funded projects. The Committee also takes care of other infrastructure tasks as assigned to it by the Academy Board.
Finnish Research Infrastructure Committee 1 July 2022–20 June 2025
- Chair: Vice President for Research Riitta Maijala, Academy of Finland
- Vice Chair: Director Erja Heikkinen, Ministry of Education and Culture
- Tuula Helander, Deputy Director General, Ministry of Social Affairs and Health
- Anni Huhtala, Secretary General of the Economic Policy Council, VATT Institute for Economic Research
- Professor Ari Jokinen, Research Council for Natural Sciences and Engineering, Academy of Finland
- Jussi Kaurola, Director General, Finnish Meteorological Institute
- Maija Lönnqvist, Senior Ministerial Adviser, Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment
- Arto Maaninen, Vice Rector, University of Oulu
- Ilkka Niemelä, Rector, Aalto University
- Professor Atte Oksanen, Research Council for Culture and Society, Academy of Finland
- Professor Jorma Palvimo, Research Council for Biosciences, Health and the Environment, Academy of Finland
- Arto Pussinen, Senior Director, Business Finland
- Leif Schulman, Director General, Finnish Environment Institute
- Hanna Snellman, Vice Rector, University of Helsinki
- Juhani Soini, Vice Rector, Turku University of Applied Sciences
- Antti Vasara, CEO, VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland Ltd
- Mari Walls, Rector, Tampere University
- Petteri Kauppinen, Senior Ministerial Adviser, Ministry of Education, Science and Culture
Based on the strategy for Finland’s research infrastructures, the FIRI Committee will open roadmap and funding calls and, together with other actors, develop national and international research infrastructure activities.
The roadmap call based on the strategy was opened in April 2020. In the call, projects applied for a chance to be included in Finland’s new research infrastructure roadmap for 2021–2024.
See the strategy brochure: