Academy Programmes are thematic, target-oriented and coordinated research programmes that cover a range of activities to support innovative, high-quality and high-impact research and promote international and national research cooperation.
Academy Programmes may have different focuses:
- advancing emerging fields of research
- supporting research related to societal challenges
- promoting national and international funding cooperation
- supporting Finnish researchers in seeking international collaborations and funding opportunities
- influencing the contents of international funding calls, for example.
The topics of Academy Programmes are often science-driven and may emerge from key research needs in society identified through foresighting.
The Board of the Academy of Finland decides on the start-up and financial resources of new Academy Programmes. The funding is granted for a minimum of four years. There are 15 Academy Programmes running in 2021.