Development research – DEVELOP2 (2023–2026)
DEVELOP2, the Academy Programme for Development Research, is a research programme jointly funded by the Academy of Finland and the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland.
The programme will provide funding for multidisciplinary, phenomenon-driven and problem-based research that targets global development issues, helps boost economic, social and ecological development in developing countries and makes good use of Finnish knowledge and expertise in the field. Its purpose is to work towards achieving the Agenda 2030 Sustainable Development Goals as adopted by UN Member States.
The aim of Agenda 2030 is to achieve economically, socially and environmentally sustainable development and to eradicate poverty. The growing role of social and technological innovations and digitalisation will be central to achieving the objectives of Agenda 2030. Innovations and digitalisation can help in creating novel solutions to support positive development.
Supporting research and strengthening research capacities are considered key development targets in many developing countries, but local universities often have limited resources to undertake research. International research cooperation and improved research capacities can help bolster developing countries’ competitive position.
DEVELOP2 aims to strengthen the research capacity of developing countries by funding projects that support long-term equal partnerships and research cooperation between researchers and universities in Finland and the target countries. International networking and cooperation are central to the effective dissemination and application of the research results.
The call for applications under the DEVELOP2 programme has three themes:
- sustainable economy in developing countries (digitalisation, jobs, livelihoods, decent work, international trade)
- creating a more efficient society (welfare, health, human rights, high-quality education incl. school meals)
- food security, biodiversity, environmental health and sustainable management and use of natural resources.
The DEVELOP2 call opens on 1 February 2023 and closes on 5 April 2023. The funding period is 40 months. More information about the call is available in the call text (to be published on 2 January 2023) and in the programme memorandum.
Steering group of DEVELOP Academy Programme (until 31 Dec 2024):
- Tarja Väyrynen, Research Council for Culture and Society (chair)
- Jarkko Niemi, Research Council for Biosciences, Health and the Environment
- Kari Herlevi, Strategic Research Council
- Mirja Illikainen, Research Council for Natural Sciences and Engineering
- Sirkku Juhola, Research Council for Biosciences, Health and the Environment
- Juha Savolainen, Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland
- Pekka Seppälä, Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland
- Mikko Ylikangas, Programme Manager, tel. +358 295 335 143
- Sara Illman, Programme Manager, tel. +358 295 335 119
- Ritva Helle, Coordinator, tel. +358 295 335 023
Our email addresses are in the format firstname.lastname(at)aka.fi.