Learn more about open science
Concepts and terminology
Definitions for the terms and concepts used in the open science policies of the Academy of Finland can be found on the Frequently Asked Questions page of cOAlition S.
- Plan S Frequently Asked Questions – FAQ page by cOAlition S describing the principles and practices of Plan S
Networks and platforms for open science
The Academy of Finland is an active member of both Finnish and international open science networks.
Open Science National Coordination (Federation of Finnish Learned Societies)
- The Academy participates in Finland’s national coordination of open science. The Academy has participated in preparing and is a signatory of the Declaration for Open Science and Research 2020–2025. The Declaration outlines a common vision and objectives for the development of Finnish science and the Finnish research community. The Declaration is supported by national policies. A key policy in terms of the activities of the Academy is the national policy on open access to scholarly publications.
- cOAlition S is a network of international funders that promotes the implementation of open access to scientific publications. The Academy of Finland is a member of the network. COAlition S has developed the Plan S principles, which entered into force on 1 January 2021. In addition to the implementation of open access, cOAlition S promotes new ways of scientific publishing and the development of responsible research assessment.
- Science Europe is an association representing major public organisations that fund or perform research. Its activities include working groups on open access to scientific publications and data management focusing on the promotion of open science. The Academy of Finland is a member of Science Europe.
- FinELib is a consortium of Finnish higher education institutions, research institutes and public libraries whose mission is to secure and improve the availability of electronic resources.
Finnish Social Science Data Archive (FSD)
- The FSD archives and distributes research data for research, teaching and study and provides related services to researchers.
European Open Science Cloud (EOSC)
- The European Open Science Cloud (EOSC) is an initiative that is aimed at creating a virtual environment where researchers can store, manage, analyse and share research data. In addition to the international framework, EOSC activities are also organised at national level
- The OpenAIRE initiative supports open access to the activities and outputs of European infrastructure research projects and creates an infrastructure to improve the processing of research projects and research outputs.
- Senior Science Adviser Jyrki Hakapää, tel. +358 295 33 5020
Our email addresses are in the format firstname.lastname(at)aka.fi