Profi funding is granted based on peer review. The applications are reviewed by an international panel of experts organised by the Research Council of Finland. The panel members are rectors and vice rectors from European universities.
The review focuses on the following criteria:
- how the plan is linked to the university’s strategy and strategic development measures
- feasibility, credibility and follow-up of the proposed plan
- plans for reaching and maintaining the international level of the intended research in the profiling areas
- ensuring the creation of new, profiling-based initiatives and seeing to their resources
- the university’s overall commitment to profiling and developing the quality of research
- the significance and national added value of collaboration with other universities, research institutes and society at large (incl. infrastructure collaboration)
- the plan’s significance for promoting diverse societal impact.