The coronavirus outbreak has caused exceptional challenges on a global scale to both human health and the functioning of society. The Academy of Finland is fast-tracking a special funding opportunity to support and accelerate research into the COVID-19 epidemic and the mitigation of its effects and to support the utilisation of the research in society. In its meeting on 1 April 2020, the Board of the Academy allocated 8.45 million euros to the call.
The call is aimed at research projects in all fields of research that deal with the SARS-CoV-2 virus and the COVID-19 epidemic caused by it, the societal impacts of the epidemic and the prevention and/or mitigation of its negative consequences. The funding will support the redirecting of relevant research or the strengthening of research under the theme already in spring 2020.
Academy-funded researchers may also, without additional funding, direct their ongoing project towards studying the COVID-19 epidemic and its mitigation by applying for a change in the intended use of funding.
Call opens on 7 April 2020
The aims of the funding to be granted for research into the COVID-19 epidemic are:
- to support research in the field and/or
- to improve open access to research data and outputs for researchers and society and/or
- to promote the use of research knowledge in mitigating the effects and/or
- to promote the utilisation of research-based knowledge and expertise.
The call is a targeted call intended for organisations. The organisation’s application consists of sub-applications. The sub-applications are based on the work of ongoing Academy-funded projects, which will ensure that activities can start as soon as possible. The plans of the sub-applications must be relevant to the theme of the call. The principal investigators of the sub-applications must have an ongoing Academy-funded research project on the closing date of the call.
The assessment will focus on how the plans are based on the work of the projects, their relevance to the theme of the call and whether the plan can be credibly implemented considering the current situation. The General Subcommittee of the Academy of Finland will make the funding decisions.
The call will be taken forward swiftly:
- The call opens on 7 April and closes on 28 April 2020.
- The Academy’s General Subcommittee will make the funding decisions in May–June 2020.
- The funding period is 1 February 2020–31 December 2021 (relevant costs that incurred before the funding decision are also eligible).
- A sub-application will be granted a maximum of 200,000 euros.
Researchers can direct their funding to COVID-19 research by applying for change in purpose of use
Researchers will also have the opportunity to direct the activities of ongoing projects towards the COVID-19 epidemic and its mitigation by applying to the Academy for a change in the intended use of funding.
The change in the purpose of use will not lead to an extension of the funding period or to additional funding for the project. The application for the change is submitted by the project PI in the Academy’s online services.
Inquiries and more information
- Read the full call text (published by 6 April 2020 at the latest)
- Frequently asked questions
- Changing purpose of use of funding (pdf)
- Johanna Myllyharju, Professor, Chair of the Board of the Academy of Finland, tel. +358 294 485 740, firstname.lastname(at)oulu.fi
- Heikki Mannila, President of the Academy of Finland, tel. +358 295 335 001, firstname.lastname(at)aka.fi
- Riitta Maijala, Vice President for Research, Academy of Finland, tel. +358 295 335 002, firstname.lastname(at)aka.fi
Academy of Finland Communications
Riitta Tirronen, Director of Communications
tel. +358 295 335 118