Finland’s interests in the IIASA are represented by a dedicated IIASA team whose members are appointed by the Academy of Finland. The Academy also pays Finland’s annual membership fee. In other words, the IIASA team acts as Finland’s National Member Organisation (NMO) in the IIASA.
The members of the team are appointed by the President of the Academy of Finland and, in line with the nature of the IIASA’s work, include scientists as well as representatives of organisations that rely on research and of the government.
Finland’s IIASA team is responsible for
- coordinating, overseeing and promoting Finland’s contribution to the work of the IIASA
- appointing Finns to serve on other bodies of the IIASA than its Council
- tracking the progress of the IIASA’s research and facilitating its introduction in Finland.
Finland’s IIASA team from 1 January 2018 until 31 December 2020:
- Director General Lea Kauppi, Finnish Environment Institute (Chair)
- Academician Markku Kulmala, University of Helsinki (Deputy Chair)
- Senior Leader Eeva Hellström, Finnish Innovation Fund Sitra
- Research Professor Raisa Mäkipää, Natural Resources Institute Finland
- Professor Ahti Salo, Aalto University
- Vice President Leena Sarvaranta, VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland Ltd
- Chief Specialist Sari Löytökorpi, Prime Minister’s Office
- Professor Marja Vaarama, University of Eastern Finland
- Director Jussi Vauhkonen, Academy of Finland
- Senior Science Adviser Jaana Roos, Academy of Finland (Secretary)