Finland’s interests in the IIASA are represented by a dedicated IIASA committee whose members are appointed by the Research Council of Finland. The Research Council also pays Finland’s annual membership fee. In other words, the IIASA team acts as Finland’s National Member Organisation (NMO) in the IIASA.
The members of the committee are appointed by the President of the Research Council of Finland and, in line with the nature of the IIASA’s work, include scientists as well as representatives of organisations that rely on research and of the government.
The Finnish IIASA Committee is responsible for
- coordinating, overseeing and promoting Finland’s contribution to the work of the IIASA
- appointing Finns to serve on other bodies of the IIASA than its Council
- tracking the progress of the IIASA’s research and facilitating its introduction in Finland.
The Finnish IIASA Committee from 1 January 2021 until 31 December 2023:
- Professor Olli Varis, Aalto University (Chair)
- Academician Markku Kulmala, University of Helsinki (Deputy Chair)
- Research Professor Raisa Mäkipää, Natural Resources Institute Finland
- Professor Ahti Salo, Aalto University
- Chief Specialist Sari Löytökorpi, Prime Minister’s Office
- Research professor Anna Rotkirch, the Family Federation of Finland
- Vice President of International Affairs and Policy Janica Ylikarjula, VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland Ltd
- Director Jussi Vauhkonen, Research Council of Finland
- Senior Science Adviser Jaana Roos, Research Council of Finland (Secretary)