This research plan structure applies to letters of intent for SRC funding
Submit the letter of intent as a PDF appendix in the Academy’s online services on the tab ‘Research plan’. Read the call text carefully before you start writing the plan. Also, familiarise yourself with the review guidelines and review form.
The research plan must be no more than six pages long. The paper size is A4. The font is Calibri / Carlito (font size 12 pt, line spacing 1 and margins 20 mm). All bibliographic references must be added directly into the text, for example as follows: (author(s) year) or [number]. You must not use footnotes. The list of references is part of the research plan and does count towards the length of the plan.
The instructions and structure provided must be followed to ensure the equal treatment of applicants. Please use the headings provided. The application cannot be submitted if the system detects an error in the page configuration or the structure.
Use the template to write the plan.
See the How-to guides for the online services on our website for the technical instructions.
The headings must not be changed (use the template)
1. Central idea of project and objective for societal impact
(1-2 pages) Describe the central idea of the research and the purpose of the project by answering programme questions A–E. The answers should explicitly demonstrate
- the challenge to be solved
- the scientific and societal objectives of the research
- the expected societal impact of the research.
2. Implementation of research
(1-2 pages) Divide the implementation of the research and interaction into work packages (WPs). We recommend that you devote a separate WP for interaction activities. The leader of that WP will act as the interaction coordinator for the whole consortium. The consortium’s management and coordination may also be divided into WPs. A WP may be implemented by people from several scientific disciplines and sites of research. A WP may, however, have only one leader. Describe the WPs so that the descriptions show
- the theoretical background and how the project is positioned in the scientific domain (at least three research fields); how the consortium justifies its methodological decisions; what research is needed
- the implementation and benefits of multidisciplinary research; how the multidisciplinary approach will contribute to renewing previous research in both a Finnish and international context
- the research methods, design and data; how the consortium justifies its methodological choices
- how the research will be implemented
- the interlinkages (added value of the consortium) and distribution of work between WPs
- the expected results and impact
- how the research plan promotes responsible science (Research ethics, Equality and non-discrimination, Open science, Sustainable development)
(1 page) In the interaction plan, describe the goals, means, stakeholders and implementation of the interaction activities. Make sure that the description of stakeholders is realistic. The description should show
- with whom, why and how the consortium will collaborate to seek out solutions
- how the interaction partners benefit from the collaboration.
In addition, describe the consortium’s competence as regards the promotion of societal impact
4. Scientific accomplishments, competence of consortium, key literature or bibliography
(1 page) On the last page of the research and interaction plan, describe the merits and competence of the consortium PI and the WP leaders as well as literature or a bibliography of key importance to the plan.