Figures for 2021 show that the Academy of Finland invested a total of 14 million euros in international research funding cooperation. International cooperation is an important tool for the Academy in supporting and reinforcing the quality, impact and regeneration of research.
All Academy funding opportunities are designed with a view to boosting the internationalisation of Finnish science and Finnish researchers. The Academy also has funding opportunities especially targeted at promoting the international dimension of research. The most significant of these is the funding of research activity together with other national funding organisations, the European Union and NordForsk. In this case, the cooperation is carried out within thematic research programmes requiring cooperation between researchers from at least two other countries.
The international funding allocated by the Academy is primarily intended for European and Nordic joint projects. However, EU-level networks often include countries outside the EU, which effectively expands the opportunities for researchers to cooperate.
The Academy’s total contribution to international funding cooperation also includes the funding granted by the Academy’s research councils for researcher mobility based on bilateral agreements with countries and territories outside Europe, namely Russia, India, Taiwan, China and Japan.
Academy research council participation in international funding cooperation in 2021
International joint calls: Research Council for Biosciences, Health and the Environment
- Conservation and Restoration of Degraded Ecosystems and Their Biodiversity, Including a Focus on Aquatic Systems, 2020, €912,000
- Neurodevelopmental Disorders, 2021, €899,000
- Japan-Nordic Frontier Research Projects for Healthy Longevity, 2020, €500,000
- One Health Interventions to Prevent or Reduce the Development and Transmission of Antimicrobial Resistance, 2021, €260,000
- ERA PerMed, in collaboration with the Research Council for Natural Sciences and Engineering, €300,000
- Linking Pre-Diagnosis Disturbances of Physiological Systems to Neurodegenerative Diseases, 2021, €300,000
- Risks Posed to Human Health and the Environment by Pollutants and Pathogens Present in Water Resources, 2020, €747,000
- Research Council’s researcher mobility funding mainly for 1–12-month visits to non-European countries: €135,000 for outward mobility from Finland, €50,000 for inward mobility
International joint calls: Research Council for Culture and Society
- Equality and Wellbeing across Generations, 2020, €500,000
- Democratic Governance in a Turbulent Age, 2019, €500,000
- Migration and Integration, 2018, €800,000
- Joint Committee for Nordic Research Councils in the Humanities and Social Sciences (NOS-HS), €300,000
- European University Institute (EUI) doctoral programmes, €367,000
- Funding for researcher mobility to outside Europe: €16,000 in invitation funding for 1–12-month research visits to Finland, €31,000 for 1–12-month research visits from Finland
International joint calls: Research Council for Natural Sciences and Engineering
- International Co-Investigator Scheme for Finnish-Norwegian research cooperation in engineering (Academy of Finland and Research Council of Norway); Research Council’s contribution €2m in total for three Finnish-Norwegian consortium projects
- CHIST-ERA (European Coordinated Research on Long-term Challenges in Information and Communication Sciences & Technologies ERA-NET); Research Council’s contribution €1,046,000 in total for three Finnish subprojects
- QuantERA (Cofund Initiative in Quantum Technologies); Research Council’s contribution €674 000 in total for three Finnish subprojects
- Academy of Finland – NSF joint call pilot: artificial intelligence and wireless communication technologies; Research Council’s contribution €3,018,000 in total for eight Finnish subprojects
- ERA PerMed, in collaboration with Research Council for Biosciences, Health and the Environment; Research Council for Natural Sciences and Engineering made its funding decisions in January 2022
- Funding for researcher mobility primarily outside Europe: €414,000 in invitation funding for 1–12-month research visits to Finland, €255,000 for 1–12-month research visits from Finland
Inquiries and more information
- Anna Kohonen, Coordinator (Culture and Society), tel. +358 295 335 152
- Minna Räisänen, Science Adviser (Natural Sciences and Engineering), tel. +358 295 335 072
- Anni Kleino, Science Adviser (Biosciences, Health and the Environment), tel. +358 295 335 161
- Harri Hautala, Science Adviser (Biosciences, Health and the Environment, tel. +358 295 335 019
- Academy of Finland research councils
Our email addresses are in the format firstname.lastname(at)aka.fi.
Academy of Finland Communications
Vesa Varpula, Communications Specialist
tel. +358 295 335 131