Call for research into use of high-performance computing and quantum computers to open in August
In August 2021, the Academy of Finland will open a special funding call aimed at supporting the use of the EuroHPC supercomputing infrastructure, the introduction of quantum computers and the application of high-performance computing. The call opens on 11 August and closes on 6 October 2021.
The aim of the funding is to support the development of a diverse future computing ecosystem and the expansion of computing expertise into new sectors. The funding will support high-quality research related to the EuroHPC Joint Undertaking, high-performance computing or the introduction of quantum computers as well as the utilisation of high-performance computing in various fields of research.
The funding can be applied for by multidisciplinary research teams and consortia composed of several teams. The total funding budget is 6 million euros for three years, starting in 2022. The funding is designed to promote scientific renewal and diversity, the quality of research and scientific impact as well as impact beyond academia. The development of skills and competences is a key cross-cutting theme in the call.
Applications are encouraged from different fields of research. In this way, the goal is to support the development of a diverse future computing ecosystem. The Academy encourages researchers from different fields to consider what new opportunities high-performance computing could offer and what skills should be developed in the fields concerned.
- Matti Nelimarkka: LUMI brings new possibilities for social sciences (CSC)
- Kimmo Kartasalo: LUMI provides new opportunities for artificial intelligence research (CSC)
Inquiries and more information
- Call text
- Laura Taajamaa, Senior Science Adviser, tel. +358 295 335 027
- Oskari Miettinen, Science Adviser, tel. +358 295 335 053
- Jukka Tanskanen, Senior Science Adviser, tel. +358 295 335 071
- Anne Uutela, Science Adviser, tel. +358 295 335 107
- Jussi Varkemaa, Science Adviser, tel. +358 295 335 140
Academy of Finland Communications
Vesa Varpula, Communications Specialist
tel. +358 295 335 131