In 2020, the Academy of Finland contributed to international funding cooperation with a total of 7.2 million euros. International cooperation is an important tool for supporting and reinforcing the quality, impact and renewal of research.
All Academy funding opportunities are designed with a view to boosting the internationalisation of Finnish science and Finnish researchers. The Academy also has funding opportunities especially targeted at promoting the international dimension of research. The most significant of these is the funding of research activity together with other national funding organisations, the European Union and NordForsk. In this case, the cooperation is carried out within thematic research programmes requiring cooperation between researchers from at least two other countries.
This international funding by the Academy is primarily intended for European and Nordic joint projects. However, EU-level networks often include countries outside the EU, which effectively expands the opportunities for researchers to cooperate.
The Academy’s total contribution to international funding cooperation also includes the funding granted by the Academy’s research councils for researcher mobility based on bilateral agreements with countries and territories outside Europe, namely Russia, India, Taiwan, China and Japan.
Research council participation in international funding cooperation in 2020
International joint calls: Research Council for Biosciences, Health and the Environment
- €278,000 in ERA-NET NEURON call “Translational Biomarkers in Brain Disorders”; one Finnish subproject funded
- €1,298,000 in BiodivClim ERA-NET Cofund call within biodiversity and climate change research; six Finnish subprojects funded
- €899,000 in ERA PerMed ERA-NET Cofund call within personalised medicine; four Finnish subprojects funded
- €545,000 in EJP RD call within rare diseases research; two Finnish subprojects funded
- €500,000 in NordForsk call within COVID-19 research; two Finnish projects funded
- funding for researcher mobility outside Europe: €184,000 for 1–12-month researcher visits to Finland, €144,000 for 1–12-month researcher visits from Finland
International joint calls: Research Council for Natural Sciences and Engineering
- €568,000 in ERA PerMed ERA-NET Cofund call within personalised medicine; two Finnish subprojects funded
- €1,000,000 in CHIST-ERA call “European Coordinated Research on Long-Term Challenges in Information and Communication Sciences & Technologies”; four Finnish subprojects funded
- funding for researcher mobility outside Europe: €512,000 for 1–12-month researcher visits to Finland, €213,000 for 1–12-month researcher visits from Finland
International joint calls: Research Council for Culture and Society
- €800,000 in NordForsk’s Nordic Societal Security Programme; two Finnish subprojects funded
- €500,000 in NORFACE call “Democratic Governance in a Turbulent Age (Governance)”; three Finnish subprojects funded
- €700,000 in JPI Climate call “Enabling Societal Transformation in the Face of Climate Change”; three Finnish subprojects funded
- €697,000 in ERA.Net RUS Plus joint call; three Finnish subprojects funded (one consortium coordinated by Finnish researcher)
- €300,000 in NOS-HS funding; 18 Finnish-coordinated workshop projects funded
- €332,000 in grants to 12 researchers for researcher training at the European University Institute (EUI)
- funding for researcher mobility outside Europe: €228,000 for 1–12-month researcher visits to Finland, €156,000 for 1–12-month researcher visits from Finland
- Tiina Forsman, Science Adviser, Division of Social Sciences and Humanities Research, tel. +358 295 335 013
- Minna Räisänen, Science Adviser, Division of Natural Sciences and Engineering Research, tel. +358 295 335 072
- Marko Uutela, Science Adviser, Division of Biosciences, Health and Environmental Research, tel. +358 295 335 113
Our email addresses are in the format firstname.lastname(at)aka.fi.
Academy of Finland Communications
Vesa Varpula, Communications Specialist
tel. +358 295 335 131