The Academy of Finland has opened a rapid call for research into COVID-19 vaccines and pharmaceutical development. The special funding is aimed at supporting research on vaccine and drug development for the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 as well as research on the efficacy, safety and effectiveness of coronavirus vaccines and medicines. The Finnish Government’s supplementary budget includes an allocation of EUR 10 million to the Academy of Finland to fund COVID-19 vaccine research and pharmaceutical development.
This special funding may be applied for by research consortia or researchers for the recruitment of a research team and other expenses. The call is open between 19 May and 2 June 2020. The funding comes to a maximum of 1.7 million euros per individual project. The funding period may also start retroactively as of 1 January 2020. The funding period is 2.5–3 years between 2020 and 2022. The funding decisions will be published in late June.
The projects to be funded are expected to have research on the theme already under way.
The funding will provide a wide range of support for research that is relevant, current and feasible in terms of the theme. Funding will be granted for vaccine and drug development research related to one or several of the following themes:
- promoting the treatment of patients with COVID-19
- preventing more severe forms of COVID-19
- developing vaccines or medicines for COVID-19
- analysing the efficacy, safety and impact of vaccines and medicines for COVID-19
- preventing the spread of the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
Inquiries and more information
- Read the full call text
- Riitta Maijala, Vice President for Research, Academy of Finland, tel. +358 295 335 002, firstname.lastname(at)aka.fi
- Maiju Gyran, Senior Science Adviser, Academy of Finland, tel. +358 295 335 015, firstname.lastname(at)aka.fi
Academy of Finland Communications
Riitta Tirronen, Director of Communications
tel. +358 295 335 118