The Mineral Resources and Material Substitution (MISU) Academy Programme will organise an Impact Seminar on 4 May 2021 at 13.00 to discuss the impacts of research on and its interaction with economic life. At the same time, the seminar will the last seminar to be organised within the programme. The event will be held in English.
In recent years, more research attention has been paid to the impact of research and to how research interacts with economic life. In its own way, this event will foster the aim of increasing industry-academia interaction by giving participants a chance to share their views on the topic.
In addition to interesting talks, the seminar will include an open discussion. Questions and topics to be discussed are, for example, the following:
- Is academia doing the right research in the field of mineral resources and material substitution in Finland?
- What does the industry expect from research?
- What important competence or skills development has there been as a result of the programme?
- How could the research funding of the Academy of Finland and the Finnish research system be developed to improve the impact of research and the interaction between academia and industry?
We warmly welcome both academic and industrial players and decision-makers to join this event!
4 May 2021 at 13.00–16.00 (Teams webinar)
Session 1 (13.00–14.15)
13.00–13.10 Opening address, Tanja Kallio, Chair of the MISU Steering Group
13.10–13.30 Industry Speech, CEO Matti Hietanen, Finnish Minerals Group
13.30–13.50 Programme evaluation, Programme Manager Tommi Laitinen, Academy of Finland
13.50–14.00 Words from the external evaluation group (EEG), chair of EEG Juha Karhu (Prof. emeritus), University of Helsinki
14.00–14.20 Open discussion
Session 2 (14.30–16.00)
14.35–14.50 International project: Towards Sustainable Gold Recovery from Tailings (GoldTail), Mari Lundström, Aalto University
14.50–15.05 International project: Steps towards the use of mine tailings in geopolymer materias: reactivity, CO2 sequestration and heavy metal stabilization, Mirja Illikainen, University of Oulu
15.05–15.20 International project, Geophysical and Geochemical Methods for Stope Design (GAGS), Mikael Rinne, Aalto University
15.20–15.35 From lab bench to commercial product – the story of nanostructured silicon, Vesa-Pekka Lehto, University of Eastern Finland
15.35–15.50 MISU and LIBS research in Aalto, From basic research towards applications, Jussi Leveinen, Aalto University
15.50–16.00 Closing remarks
- Tommi Laitinen, Programme Manager, tel. +358 295 335 057
- Saila Seppo, Programme Manager, tel. +358 295 335 109
- Ritva Helle, Coordinator, tel. +358 295 335 023
Our email addresses are in the format firstname.lastname(at)aka.fi.