This year marks the 100th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Japan and Finland. In addition, the Alumni Club of Finnish researchers of the Academy of Finland’s partner – Japan Society for the Promotion of Sciences (JSPS) – is celebrating its tenth year.
To mark these milestones the Academy of Finland, together with JSPS’s Office in Stockholm, the JSPS Alumni Club and the Europe Office of Hokkaido University, is organising a jubilee seminar linking science and art on Thursday,12 December between 1 pm and 7 pm in Helsinki.
Attendees at the event will see and hear the video greeting of the jubilee’s ambassador, lighting designer Motoko Ishii, and lighting designer Lisa Ishii’s lecture “Valo from Finland, Hikari from Japan”. Professor Maarit Karppinen from Aalto University will talk about her decades long collaboration with Japan in novel functional materials for different energy technologies. Attendees will hear the views of Professor Shinichiro Tabata from Hokkaido University on people and communities in the Arctic and the possibilities of sustainable development. Dr Kristiina Jokinen, who works at AI Research Center of AIST Tokyo Waterfront, will focus on issues, challenges and future views relating to social robots, and Dr Aki Tsuruta from theFinnish Meteorological Institute will describe the research collaboration between Finland and Japan on greenhouse gases.
The seminar is free of charge and open to the public, but registration in advance is required. Please register at the latest by Thursday, 5 December. The language of the event is English.
The Academy of Finland provides EUR 260,000 in funding for researcher mobility and scientific seminars each year.
13:15-13:30 Opening remarks
- Dr. Ville Syrjälä, Chair of ACF
- Dr. Yasuhiro Iye, Executive Director of JSPS
13:30-14:30 Special Lecture
- Video message from Ms. Motoko Ishii, Lighting designer, President of Motoko Ishii Lighting Design Inc., 100 years of Finnish-Japanese Friendship Envoy
- Lecture “Valo from Finland, Hikari from Japan” by Ms. Akari-Lisa Ishii, Lighting designer
- “Novel functional materials for different energy technologies through quarter-centurylong Finnish-Japanese research collaboration” by Prof. Maarit Karppinen, Aalto University
- “People and Community in the Arctic: Possibility of sustainable development” by Prof. Shinichiro Tabata, Hokkaido University
- “Interactions with Social Robots -Issues, challenges and future views” by Dr. Kristiina Jokinen, AI Research Center of AIST Tokyo Waterfront, Former ACF Chair
- “Collaboration between Finland and Japan on greenhouse gas studies” by Dr. Aki Tsuruta, Finnish Meteorological Institute (FMI)
16:50-16:55 Closing remarks by Dr. Tadaharu Tsumoto, Director of JSPS Stockholm Office
When: Thursday 12 December 2019 between 1 pm and 7 pm
Academy of Finland
The JSPS Alumni Club in Finland
The Academy of Finland
Hokkaido University Europe Office in Helsinki
JSPS Stockholm Office