The Strategic Research Council's (SRC) funding programmes are based on changing themes. Proposals on new themes are formulated annually through an interactive theme process. At the end of the process, the SRC submits a proposal to the Finnish Government on the next themes and priorities of strategic research. Through its decision on the themes, the Government steers high-quality and long-term research into solving major societal challenges.
The preparation of the theme proposal focuses proactively on major societal challenges and major changes in a long-term perspective. The interactive process in support of the SRC’s theme preparation to chart societal challenges consists, among other things, of an open online survey, theme workshops and an open consultation where the scientific community and knowledge users can discuss the proposed themes. At the end of the process, the SRC submits a proposal to the Government on next year’s themes and priorities. The SRC opens the research programmes for the following year and the related calls for applications based on the Government’s decision.
The premise for the SRC is to sift out the following types of themes:
- themes that are key challenges for the future of Finland
- themes that are sufficiently horizontal
- themes that extensively affect different sectors of society
- themes that are sufficiently distinct from each other
- themes that require new knowledge produced by multidisciplinary research.
SRC’s preparation of strategic research themes for 2023
- Open online survey 27 Oct–11 Nov 2021, read the news release
- Theme workshop for stakeholders, February 2022
- Public consultation, 30 May 2022, read more
SRC’s previous preparation of strategic research themes for 2022
- Open online survey 21 Oct–12 Nov 2020, read the news release
- Theme workshops for stakeholders, February 2021
- Public consultation, 20 May 2021
- SRC decision on theme proposal and submission to the Government June 2020, read press release
- Government decision on themes 29 September 2021, read the decision
- SRC decision on two programmes (YOUNG and SHIELD) that will open in 2022; programme calls launched (first stage open until 12 Jan 2022.
The strategic research themes previously decided by the Finnish Government are as follows.
Themes for 2022
- Children and young people – healthy, thriving and capable makers of the future
- Security and trust in the age of algorithms
Themes for 2021
- Demographic changes – causes, consequences and solutions
- Environmental and social links to biodiversity loss
- Pandemics as a challenge for society
Themes for 2020
- Dealing with Climate Change – the Human Perspective
- Information Literacy and Evidence Informed Decision-Making
Themes for 2019
- Towards a Sustainable, Healthy and Climate-Neutral Food System
- Innovative Materials and Services to Promote Resource Wisdom and Sustainable Development
- The Evolving Role of Public Authority and the Potential for Steering Society
- Culture in an Increasingly Technologically Driven Society
Themes for 2017 and 2018
- Changing Citizenship – Society in a State of Global Flux (2017)
- Reform or Wither– Resources and Solutions (2018)
Themes for 2016
- Knowledge, Know-How and the Changing Working Life
- Health and the Changing of Lifestyles
- Overall Security in a Global Environment
- Dynamics of Urbanisation
Themes for 2015
- Utilisation of Disruptive Technologies and Changing Institutions
- A Climate-Neutral and Resource-Scarce Society
- Equality and Its Promotion
- Pilvi Toppinen, Senior Science Adviser, tel. +358 295 335 064
Our email addresses are in the format firstname.lastname(at)aka.fi.