Programme for development research (Develop) 2018-2022
DEVELOP studies global development issues that can help boost development in developing countries. The aim is to produce knowledge that can help solve problems related to, for example, health, natural resources, the economy and education.
The Academy Programme for development research (Develop) provides funding to multidisciplinary, problem-based research that targets global development issues, helps boost development in developing countries and makes good use of Finnish knowledge and expertise in the field.
The Develop Academy Programme is a programme jointly funded by the Academy of Finland and the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland. The programme’s themes are based on Finland’s development policy objectives and the UN sustainable development programme.
Development research describes and interprets dimensions of development, helps understand obstacles to development and finds ways in which those obstacles can be removed. In practical terms, the aim is to produce knowledge that can help solve problems related to, for example, health, natural resources, the economy and education. Knowledge is also needed about how international, national and cultural systems work and about the limitations that these systems present to and the opportunities they offer for development.
The programme's call was opened in September 2017. The programme provides funding to four-year research projects. The first seven research projects selected to the programme started in March 2018. Five more projects were selected in October 2018 thanks to additional funding from the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland.
A call info session for DEVELOP2 will be organised on 25 January at 14.00–15.00 via Microsoft Teams. At the session, representatives of the Academy and the Ministry will present the DEVELOP2 programme and answer questions by session participants. The session will be held in English. Join the session via Teams.
Academy Programme for Development Research 2017
- Theory and practice of learning in civil society (CS-LEARN)
Tiina Kontinen, University of Jyväskylä
Katariina Holma, University of Oulu
2020Develop Project description Kontinen.pdf
- Goal 4+: Including Eco-cultural Pluralism in Quality Education in Ecuadorian Amazonia
Paola Minoia, University of Helsinki
2020Develop Project description Minoia.pdf
- Water and vulnerability in fragile societies (WATVUL)
Kaarina Nygren, University of Helsinki
Matti Kummu, Aalto University
2020Develop Project description Nygren.pdf
- Environmental sensing of ecosystem services for developing climate smart landscape framework to improve food security in East Africa (SMARTLAND)
Petri Pellikka, University of Helsinki
Timo Vesala, University of Helsinki
Laura Alakukku, University of Helsinki
2020Develop Project description Pellikka.pdf
- Sustainable Livelihoods and Politics at the Margins: Environmental Displacement in South Asia
Sirpa Tenhunen, University of Helsinki
2020Develop Project description Tenhunen.pdf
- Preparedness for emerging zoonotic infections in Kenya
Olli Vapalahti, University of Helsinki
2020Develop Project description Vapalahti.pdf
Academy Programme for Development Research 2018, invited applicants (additional funding from the Ministry for Foreign Affairs, 3.3 M €)
Funding period 1.1.2019 - 31.12.2022.
- What works? Youth transitions from education to employment in the Middle East and North Africa
Päivi Honkatukia, Tampere University
2020Develop Project description Honkatukia.pdf
- Cuban energy transformation Integration of renewable intermittent sources in the power system (IRIS)
Jyrki Luukkanen, University of Turku
Matti Vilkko, Tampere university
2020Develop Project description Luukkanen.pdf
- Superior grain safety with designed mycotoxin binding properties (POWERGRAIN)
Henry Maina, University of Helsinki
2020Develop Project description Maina.pdf
- Translocal forest owners and environmental collaboration: An action learning process of forest governance transformation in Tanzania
Irmeli Mustalahti, University of Eastern Finland
2020Develop Project description Mustalahti.pdf
- EDIT: Equality as Democracy in Transformation
Elina Oinas, University of Helsinki
2020Develop Project description Oinas.pdf
Steering group of the Develop Academy Programme (until 31 December 2024):
- Tarja Väyrynen, Research Council for Culture and Society (chair)
- Jarkko Niemi, Research Council for Biosciences, Health and the Environment
- Kari Herlevi, Strategic Research Council
- Mirja Illikainen, Research Council for Natural Sciences and Engineering
- Sirkku Juhola, Research Council for Biosciences, Health and the Environment
- Juha Savolainen, Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland
- Pekka Seppälä, Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland
- Mikko Ylikangas, Programme Manager, tel. +358 29 533 5143
- Sara Illman, Programme Manager, tel. +358 29 533 5119
- Ritva Helle, Coordinator, tel. +358 29 533 5023
Our email addresses are in the format firstname.lastname(at)aka.fi.