Each year, we present the Academy of Finland Awards to promising researchers. The recipients must be Academy Research Fellows or work as Academy-funded Postdoctoral Researchers. Nominations are submitted by the Academy’s research councils to the Academy Board, which makes the final award decisions. The winners are presented with a mouth-blown ornament entitled “The Moment”, designed by Miia Liesegang.
The Academy of Finland Award for Scientific Courage is granted to a researcher who has shown exceptional scientific audacity, creativity or innovation in research. The Academy of Finland Award for Social Impact is granted to a researcher who has significantly contributed to increasing public awareness of scientific research, actively contributed to public debate in society, or strengthened the application of science and research in society.
Academy of Finland Award 2018 Arri Priimägi
Academy of Finland Award 2018 Mari Pihlatie
Watch videos of previous winners on our YouTube channel.
List of winners:
- 2017: Matti Jalasvuori and Ville Kivimäki
- 2016: Kaisa Matomäki and Hélder Santos
- 2015: Tuuli Lähdesmäki and Lauri Nummenmaa
- 2014: Irmeli Mustalahti and Petri Ala-Laurila
- 2013: Sven Bossuyt and Kari Kalliokoski
- 2012: Anna-Liisa Laine (read more) and Mari Sandell (read more)
- 2011: Tapio Lokki and Mikko Salo
- 2010: Heli Skottman and Sampsa Hyysalo
- 2009: Miia Kivipelto and Otso Ovaskainen
- 2008: Hille Koskela and Minna Halme
- 2007: Hannes Lohi and Jan Lundell
- 2006: Teivo Teivainen and Jyri-Pekka Mikkola
- 2005: Ilpo Vattulainen and Tomas Roslin
- 2004: Hanna Tuomisto and Anna-Stiina Jääskeläinen
- 2003: Jari Ehrnrooth and Johanna Mappes