The Academy Programme for development research (Develop) provides funding to multidisciplinary, problem-based research that targets global development issues, helps boost development in developing countries and makes good use of Finnish knowledge and expertise in the field.
The Develop Academy Programme is a programme jointly funded by the Academy of Finland and the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland. The programme’s themes are based on Finland’s development policy objectives and the UN sustainable development programme.
Development research describes and interprets dimensions of development, helps understand obstacles to development and finds ways in which those obstacles can be removed. In practical terms, the aim is to produce knowledge that can help solve problems related to, for example, health, natural resources, the economy and education. Knowledge is also needed about how international, national and cultural systems work and about the limitations that these systems present to and the opportunities they offer for development.
The programme's call was opened in September 2017. The programme provides funding to four-year research projects. The first seven research projects selected to the programme started in March 2018. Five more projects were selected in October 2018 thanks to additional funding from the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland.
Academy Programme for Development Research 2017
- Theory and practice of learning in civil society (CS-LEARN)
Tiina Kontinen, University of Jyväskylä
Katariina Holma, University of Oulu
- Goal 4+: Including Eco-cultural Pluralism in Quality Education in Ecuadorian Amazonia
Paola Minoia, University of Helsinki
- Water and vulnerability in fragile societies (WATVUL)
Kaarina Nygren, University of Helsinki
Matti Kummu, Aalto University
- Environmental sensing of ecosystem services for developing climate smart landscape framework to improve food security in East Africa (SMARTLAND)
Petri Pellikka, University of Helsinki
Timo Vesala, University of Helsinki
Laura Alakukku, University of Helsinki
- Sustainable Livelihoods and Politics at the Margins: Environmental Displacement in South Asia
Sirpa Tenhunen, University of Helsinki
- Preparedness for emerging zoonotic infections in Kenya
Olli Vapalahti, University of Helsinki
Academy Programme for Development Research 2018, invited applicants (additional funding from the Ministry for Foreign Affairs, 3.3 M €)
Funding period 1.1.2019 - 31.12.2022.
- What works? Youth transitions from education to employment in the Middle East and North Africa
Päivi Honkatukia, Tampere University
- Cuban energy transformation Integration of renewable intermittent sources in the power system (IRIS)
Jyrki Luukkanen, University of Turku
Matti Vilkko, Tampere university
- Superior grain safety with designed mycotoxin binding properties (POWERGRAIN)
Henry Maina, University of Helsinki
- Translocal forest owners and environmental collaboration: An action learning process of forest governance transformation in Tanzania
Irmeli Mustalahti, University of Eastern Finland
- EDIT: Equality as Democracy in Transformation
Elina Oinas, University of Helsinki
Steering group of the Develop Academy Programme (until 31 December 2021):
- Kia Lindroos, Research Council for Culture and Society (chair)
- Mika Rämet, Research Council for Biosciences, Health and the Environment
- Petri Karonen, Research Council for Culture and Society
- Jussi Kukkonen, Research Council for Biosciences, Health and the Environment
- Raine Mäntysalo, Research Council for Natural Sciences and Engineering
- Katja Ahlfors, the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland
- Anna Gebremedhin, the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland
- Reetta Toivanen, Strategic Research Council
- Mikko Ylikangas, Programme Manager, tel. +358 29 533 5143
- Sara Illman, Programme Manager, tel. +358 29 533 5119
- Ritva Helle, Project Officer, tel. +358 29 533 5023
Our email addresses are in the format firstname.lastname(at)aka.fi.