The Academy of Finland and the Council of Finnish Academies have launched a joint mentoring programme for researchers.
The mentoring programme is open for researchers who received their first Academy Project funding from the Academy of Finland in 2017. The programme is aimed at supporting the personal growth and independent development of researchers. The mentors are experienced researchers chosen by the Finnish Academies. The programme will run through to the end of 2019 and will be evaluated upon completion.
The mentoring programme is a new service for early-career researchers who are heading their first extensive research project. The goal of the programme is to provide mentees with opportunities to hone and strengthen their skills and advance their careers under the guidance of more experienced researchers. For the senior-level researchers acting as mentors, the programme offers an opportunity to get to know successful early-career researchers from a broad range of fields. The programme gives both mentees and mentors an opportunity to expand their networks and gain new insights into the work of a researcher beyond their own field of research.
The mentoring programme offers, for instance:
- professional support for development as an independent researcher
- new insights into the work of a researchers across scientific disciplines and sectors.
Applications to sign up to the mentoring programme are submitted to the Council of Finnish Academies. The Council is responsible for receiving applications from mentees, recruiting mentors and forming suitable mentor-mentee pairs.
The mentoring programme is targeted at researchers who have received their first Academy Project funding from the Academy of Finland in connection with the Academy’s September 2016 call. The funding decisions were made in spring 2017 and the funded projects are set to start at the beginning of September. If you belong to this target group, you received a personal email message from the Academy of Finland on 5 July 2017. This means you are eligible to sign up. The Council of Finnish Academies will recruit mentors primarily from within its network of members.
To sign up, please visit www.academies.fi/mentorointiohjelma.
If you are interested in participating in the mentoring programme, please register by the end of September.
Kick-off seminar and joint meeting, 30 Oct 2017
The mentoring programme’s kick-off seminar and a joint meeting for mentees, mentors and the programme’s steering group was held on Monday 30 October 2017.
The event was jointly organised by the Council of Finnish Academies and the Academy of Finland.
Presentations from the kick-off seminar:
- Mentoring programme kick-off, Riitta Maijala, Academy of Finland (pdf)
- Mentoring programme kick-off, Olavi Nevanlinna (pdf)
- The value of mentoring, Jari Paakkarinen (pdf)
- Practicalities, Panu Nykänen, Council of Finnish Academies and Hannele Lahtinen, Academy of Finland (pdf)
- Researchers, speak out, Annina Huhtala, Kaskas-media (pdf)
- Business Finland Services for Researchers, Timo Suortti, Tekes (pdf)
- Academy of Finland and Council of Finnish Academies launch mentoring programme for researchers (press release 27 Jun 2017)
- Council of Finnish Academies website
- Panu Nykänen, acting Secretary General, Council of Finnish Academies, tel. +358 44 325 4214, panu.nykanen(at)academies.fi
- Kalle Videnoja, acting Science Secretary, Council of Finnish Academies, tel. +358 44 762 4454, kalle.videnoja(at)academies.fi
- Hannele Lahtinen, Senior Science Adviser, Academy of Finland, tel. +358 295 335 055, firstname.lastname(at)aka.fi
- Sanna Marjavaara, Science Adviser, Academy of Finland, tel. +358 295 335 070, firstname.lastname(at)aka.fi