The Academy of Finland works to promote international scientific collaboration. This task is derived from the Finnish Act on the Academy of Finland. We actively support the internationalisation of Finnish science and Finnish researchers with all our funding opportunities.
We cooperate with key countries with a view to ensuring that Finnish researchers are in the best possible position to engage in high-standard international research collaborations.
International engagement is an important tool for supporting and reinforcing the quality, impact and renewal of research. Though science is an inherently international activity, there is a clear need for measures to promote, diversify and expand that internationality even further. As stated in our international policy, strengthening the internationality of research also requires close collaboration between researchers, research organisations and funding agencies as well as national and international actors.
We pay membership fees to support the activities of international science and research organisations, which opens up opportunities for Finnish researchers to conduct research at top-level research centres around the world. We also serve as Finland’s representative on many international science forums.
- Quality, impact and renewal in international cooperation: Academy of Finland international policy for 2017–2021 (PDF)
- Quality, impact and renewal in international cooperation – Academy of Finland international policy for 2017–2021, Background Memorandum (PDF)
- International funding opportunities
- Academy funding for researcher mobility and seminars
- Academy-funded international research infrastructures
- Portals for researcher mobility: