The statutory duty of the Academy of Finland is to promote scientific research by funding it and by participating in international cooperation. The Academy also has different expert duties. As a government authority, the Academy must promote the openness of its functions and give advice on and provide information about its services. To comply with these statutory obligations, the Academy may process personal data of some groups of people, including applicants, stakeholders and the Academy’s staff.
We process personal data in accordance with the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (EU 2016/679) and the Finnish Data Protection Act (1050/2018). The Academy is committed to following good governance and data processing practices.
If data processing is relevant to the Academy’s statutory obligations, personal data may generally be processed without explicit consent. Additionally, we may process personal data based on consent, in which case we will ask for the explicit consent of the data subject. The data subject has the right to withdraw their consent at any time.
Moreover, data protection legislation secures the following rights of data subjects:
- The right to know if their personal data is processed by the Academy and to gain access to the data if need be.
- The right to demand rectification of faulty or insufficient data.
- The right to expect that the Academy restrict processing the personal data of the data subject in a situation where the correctness of the data is denied, or the data is processed unlawfully.
- The right to resist processing personal data based on the data subject’s personal special conditions, if the basis for data processing is to carry out a task for public interest.
- The right to appeal to a supervisory authority if the data subject considers the processing of personal data unlawful. In Finland, the national supervisory authority is the Data Protection Ombudsman: tietosuoja(at)om.fi, tel. +358 295 616 670.
Please send all requests based on the data subject’s rights and observations of possible breaches of data protection legislation to the Academy of Finland’s Registrar’s Office by email, kirjaamo(at)aka.fi. If you have questions about data protection, you can also contact the Academy’s Data Protection Officer: tietosuoja(at)aka.fi, tel. +358 295 335 000 (switchboard).
For more detailed descriptions of different tasks and systems concerning processing personal data, please see our privacy policies below. The privacy policies describe the purpose and legal basis of personal data processing, the data we process, the source of the data, the parties to whom we disclose data, whether the data are processed outside the EEA and how the data is stored. They also include more detailed description of the data subject’s rights.
We may outsource processing tasks to third-party service providers as provided for in and in compliance with data protection legislation.
We will announce any changes in data protection on the Academy of Finland’s website.
- Academy of Finland's Webropol surveys (PDF)
- Survey on career development, research impact and mobility of Postdoctoral Researchers (PDF)
- Academy of Finland’s stakeholder survey 2018 (PDF)
- Academy of Finland's client and event management system Sakari (PDF)
- Academy of Finland's newsletters (PDF)
- Academy of Finland's digital asset library Cumulus (PDF)
- Xpert Search (PDF)
- SRC project extranet (PDF)
- Academy of Finland's media monitoring for strategic research (PDF)
- Academy of Finland's help desk (PDF)
- Academy of Finland's personal data file for research funding (PDF)
We collect data on how our website is used. Such data include pages viewed, IP address and server, country, search words used, time of visit, computer or web browser, and from what page the visitor accessed our website. The data collected with cookies is stored on servers within the EU/EEA.
We also use Google Analytics, a web analytics service that tracks website traffic. The service produces anonymous statistical data and processes cookie data to help us find out how many visits our site gets, how many visitors use the site, which browsers they use, and in which country, city or region the visitors are located.
Learn more about Google Analytics.