Are you interested in the future visions of synthetic biology? Will there be infinite opportunities for the application of synthetic biology or countless obstacles? Welcome to join our foresight workshop on Tuesday 19 March 2019 to think big and create visions!
The Academy of Finland’s research programme on synthetic biology, FinSynBio, has recently been finished. The aims of the programme, that run from 2011-2017, were to:
- support high-level synthetic biology research in Finland;
- promote cooperation among scientists and researchers based in Finland and working in different fields so as to facilitate the achievement of critical mass in the research community and international competitiveness in the synthetic biology field;
- increase international collaboration to support the achievement of other programme objectives;
- foster dialogue between the research community and the rest of society on socio- cultural concerns and issues related to synthetic biology;
- promote public understanding about synthetic biology research.
The results of the programme will be evaluated both to estimate the impact of the funding invested in the programme as well as to look at the future prospects of synthetic biology. We would therefore like to invite you to participate in a foresight workshop creating visions for the future of synthetic biology. The workshop is arranged together with the Technical Research Centre of Finland VTT. The results of the foresight work will not only be used for the final evaluation of the FinSynBio-programme but also in the future planning of funding strategies at the Academy of Finland. You can also yourself use the results, as well as the foresight process itself, in the strategic planning of your own future research interests.
The foresight work shop is open to everyone interested in synthetic biology. It will be arranged on Tuesday 19 March 2019 in Helsinki 10.00-15.00, lunch is included (Paasitorni Congress Center, Paasivuorenkatu 5 A, FIN-00530 Helsinki). Professor Merja Penttilä (VTT and Aalto University) will open the workshop giving her view on the future visions of synthetic biology with examples from the recently initiated SynBio Power House project. Please register for the workshop at www.academyevents.fi (keycode: FINSYN) as soon as possible.
09.30 Coffee is served by the meeting room
10.00 Welcome and introduction, Programme Manager Sara Illman, Academy of Finland
10.10 Key Note: Future Visions for Synthetic Biology, Professor Merja Penttilä, VTT and Aalto University.
10.45 Workshop 1: How to build valuable collaboration networks? Elaborate on effective and fruitful ways to build multidisciplinary and innovative collaboration networks
12.00 Lunch at Restaurant Paasitorni
12.45 Workshop 2: What kind of solutions synthetic biology may offer to solve global challenges? Elaborate solutions to global challenges which synthetic biology may offer.
14.20 Closing and feedback
14.30 End of workshop