The Strategic Research Council (SRC) at the Academy of Finland provides funding to long-term and programme-based research aimed at finding solutions to the major challenges facing Finnish society.
Strategic Research Council 1.1.2019 - 31.12.2021
- Chair: Professor Kimmo Nuotio, University of Helsinki
- First Vice Chair: Professor Christina Salmivalli, University of Turku
- Second Vice Chair: Senior Vice President, Research and Technology Anu Kaukovirta-Norja, Valio
- Research Leader Petteri Alinikula, Saab Group
- Counsellor of Legislation Jyri Inha, Ministry of Finance
- Principal Lecturer Helena Kautola, Häme University of Applied Sciences
- Economist Olli Kärkkäinen, Nordea
- Professor Sarianna Sipilä, University of Jyväskylä
- Professor Reetta Toivanen, University of Helsinki
The projects to be funded are selected by the SRC. The SRC is also responsible for project follow-up and impact assessment. The projects are selected based on a review of their scientific quality, societal relevance and impact. The main themes of SRC research programmes are decided by the Finnish Government.
The SRC consists of eight members and a chair appointed by the Government for a three-year term, with a possible extension of a further three-year term.