The Strategic Research Council (SRC) at the Academy of Finland provides funding to long-term and programme-based research aimed at finding solutions to the major challenges facing Finnish society.
- Research Director Per Mickwitz (Finnish Environment Institute)
- Professor, Academician of Science Irma Thesleff (University of Helsinki)
- Senior Vice President Jaakko Kiander (Ilmarinen Mutual Pension Insurance Company)
- Professor Emeritus Sixten Korkman (Aalto University)
- Academician Markku Kulmala (University of Helsinki)
- Director Petra Lundström (Fortum Corporation)
- Professor Juho Saari (University of Tampere)
- Professor Katariina Salmela-Aro (University of Jyväskylä)
- Vice President Leena Sarvaranta (VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland)
The projects to be funded are selected by the SRC. The SRC is also responsible for project follow-up and impact assessment. The projects are selected based on a review of their scientific quality, societal relevance and impact. The main themes of SRC research programmes are decided by the Finnish Government.
The SRC consists of eight members and a chair appointed by the Government for a three-year term, with a possible extension of a further three-year term.