Research in fields of the natural sciences and engineering forms a basis for radical advances that can contribute to the renewal and regeneration of society as well as business and industry. Top-level expertise in these fields also plays a fundamental role in seeking solutions to major societal challenges, such as global environmental issues, mitigation of climate change, sustainable use of natural resources and future energy systems.
The research fields of the Research Council for Natural Sciences and Engineering are as follows:
- geosciences (incl. space research)
- mechanical engineering and manufacturing technology
- medical engineering
- materials science and engineering
- process engineering
- construction and municipal engineering, architecture
- electrical engineering and electronics (incl. communications and automation engineering)
- computer sciences
- biotechnology and bioinformatics related to the above fields
- other multidisciplinary natural sciences and engineering research.