The Research Council for Health decides on research funding within its own field, including medicine, biomedicine and public health. Finnish health research has deservedly made its mark internationally, being versatile and scientifically of a very high quality. It also has impact by, for example, promoting good health, wellbeing and functional capacity, and by benefiting society at large.
The Research Council aims at advancing health research and increasing the international competitiveness of the research by supporting not only excellent research but also innovative and high-risk research. The Research Council wants to do its part in improving researcher training and research infrastructures in the field and in increasing the exposure of health research across society. In addition, the Research Council pays special attention to improving the framework conditions for research into clinical medicine.
The decision dates for the Research Council's funding decisions are posted under Funding decisions.
- veterinary medicine
- dental science
- nursing science
- public health science
- clinical medicine
- sport sciences
- nutritional science
- occupational and environmental health sciences
- biophysics, bioinformatics, biochemistry, microbiology, molecular biology, genetics, cell biology and systems biology related to the fields above
- other multidisciplinary health research
- Professor Mika Rämet (paediatrics, immunology), University of Oulu
- Professor Johanna Björkroth (veterinary medicine, food hygiene), University of Helsinki
- Researcher, Docent Auli Karhu (medical genetics, genome biology), University of Helsinki, Biomedicum Helsinki
- Professor Jarkko Ketolainen (pharmaceutical technology), University of Eastern Finland
- Professor Juhani Lehto (public health research, health economics), University of Tampere
- Professor Pirjo Nuutila (diabetology, metabolic research), University of Turku
- Professor Päivi Ojala (biomedicine), University of Helsinki
- Professor Lauri Parkkonen (neurosciences), Aalto University
- Professor Pauli Puolakkainen (clinical medicine, gastrointestinal surgery), University of Helsinki
- Professor Jorma Toppari (physiology, endocrinology, pathology), University of Turku
- Professor Maritta Välimäki (nursing science), University of Turku
The term of the Research Council ends on 31 December 2018.
The Research Council for Health is involved in the following international activities and organisations:
tel. +358 295 335 126