The Academy of Finland has signed agreements on funding cooperation with two Japanese research funding organisations: the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) and Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST).
Cooperation with the JSPS covers all scientific fields except for medicine. The cooperation is designed to support researcher mobility and joint seminars.
The cooperation with the JST is trilateral, also including Tekes, and concerns the funding of joint projects. Some of the projects that were originally funded with the JST have been transferred in Japan to be administered by the Agency for Medical Research and Development (AMED).
The Academy awards mobility grants to Finnish researchers for research at universities and research institutes in Japan. The grants cover travel and living expenses, but not research costs. The grants are open for application in September.
The Academy and the JSPS grant funding for seminars to support Finnish and Japanese researchers in their new collaborative initiatives.
Finnish researchers can apply for personal grants to participate in Finnish-Japanese seminars arranged in Japan or for grants to arrange Finnish-Japanese seminars in Finland. The grants are open for applications in September.
The aim of the funding for Finnish-Japanese joint projects is to support long-term systematic research collaboration between Finland and Japan.
The Academy has funded Finnish-Japanese joint projects with both the JSPS and the JST.
Joint calls with JSPS:
- 2013: Research in the fields of culture and society
- 2012: Research in the fields of biosciences and the environment
- 2010: The future of living and housing
- 2008: Ubiquitous computing
- 2006: Life sciences and medical sciences
- 2005: all scientific disciplines
- 2004: all scientific disciplines
Together, the Academy and the JSPS have funded a total of 20 Finnish-Japanese research projects. The Academy’s funding contribution totals 4.28 million euros.
For a list of funded projects, please use our search tool.
The cooperation with the JST also involves Tekes. Finnish researchers have been able to apply for funding from either the Academy, Tekes or both. Joint calls have been organised under the following themes:
- 2014: Information systems for accessibility and support of older people
- 2013: Medical genomics, focus on bioinformatics
- 2012: Application of medical ICT devices
- 2010: Biomaterials for medical applications and advanced materials for printed functionality
- 2009: Materials for photonics, optoelectronics, solar cells and batteries
- 2008: Functional materials
Together, the Academy and the JST have funded a total of 16 Finnish-Japanese research projects. The Academy’s funding contribution totals 5.18 million euros. Some of the projects that were originally funded with the JST have in 2015 been transferred in Japan to be administered by the Agency for Medical Research and Development (AMED).
tel. +358 295 335 011
tel. +358 295 335 022