The Academy of Finland has signed agreements on bilateral cooperation with three research funding agencies in China. The cooperation with the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) covers all scientific disciplines, except for those that fall within the domain of the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS). The Academy’s collaboration with the CASS covers the humanities, culture, law, social sciences, economics and the social sciences.
Based on the above agreements, the Academy of Finland provides funding to Finnish researchers for research in China and vice versa. The Academy also supports Finnish-Chinese researcher seminars.
The Academy of Finland has organised joint calls with its Chinese funding partners since 2001. Some of the calls have included partners from Germany (DFG) or Canada (CHIR):
- 2014 5G Networks (NSFC)
- 2013 The Human Mind: Brain Plasticity and Learning (NSFC)
- 2012 Comparative Law (CASS)
- 2012 Forestry (NSFC)
- 2011 Immunology (NSFC, DFG)
- 2011 Climate Change (CASS, CAS)
- 2010 Inverse Problems (NSFC, DFG)
- 2009 Signal Processing and Computational Sciences (NSFC)
- 2008 Ubiquitous Computing and Diversity of Communication (NSFC)
- 2007 Environmental Ecology and Environment Related Energy Research (NSFC)
- 2007 Cross-Cultural Communication (CASS)
- 2005 NEURO Research Programme (NSFC, CIHR)
- 2001 Finnish Centres of Excellence and Chinese High-Level Research Groups (NSFC)
For a list of funded projects, please use our search tool.
Other bilateral cooperation
Previously, the Academy of Finland also organised a joint energy seminar in Beijing with the NSFC. In collaboration with the Graduate University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (GUCAS), the Academy organised a joint seminar in the field of natural sciences. With the CASS, the Academy organised a joint seminar in the field of comparative law.
Collaboration between the EU and China
The Academy of Finland participated in the ERA-NET CO-REACH network in 2005–2010 and in the joint calls organised within that network.
tel. +358 295 335 136
tel. +358 295 335 011
tel. +358 295 335 022