The 2002–2007 programme comprised 16 units. Academy funding in 2002–2007 was in total 33.1 million euros and funding from Tekes 5.3 million euros.
- Sivonen, Kaarina: Applied Microbiology Research Unit
- Seppälä, Jukka: Bio- and Nanopolymers Research Group
- Pekkanen, Juha: Centre for Environmental Health Risk Assessment
- Ylä-Herttuala, Seppo: Centre of Excellence for Research in Cardiovascular Diseases and Type 2 Diabetes
- Pamilo, Pekka: Centre of Population Genetic Analyses
- Thesleff, Irma: Developmental Biology Research Programme
- Jacobs, Howard: Finnish Research Unit for Mitochondrial Biogenesis and Disease (FinMIT)
- Back, Ralph-Johan: Formal Methods in Programming
- Ukkonen, Esko: From Data to Knowledge Research Unit
- Näätänen, Risto: Helsinki Brain Research Centre (HBRC)
- Knuuttila, Simo: History of Mind Research Unit
- Huhtaniemi, Ilpo: Research Programme on Male Reproductive Health
- Mattila, Pertti: Research Unit of Geometric Analysis and Mathematical Physics
- Koskela, Erkki: Research Unit on Economic Structures and Growth
- Kulmala, Markku: Research Unit on Physics, Chemistry and Biology of Atmospheric Composition and Climate Change
- Räisänen, Antti: Smart and Novel Radios Research Unit (SMARAD)
Information on funding for each CoE within the CoE programme is available in the Academy of Finland’s Funding decisions. Please use the following search parameters: for “Year of decision” put 2001, for “Call” put 2001 "Huippuyksikköhaku II kierros". (Unfortunately, the information is not available on all funding decisions).
An impact evaluation has been conducted of the Finnish programmes for Centres of Excellence 2000–2005 and 2002–2007. The evaluation report is available in the Academy of Finland publication series (Publications of the Academy of Finland 2/09).