The programme was ﬁnanced by the Academy of Finland, the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, and the National Technology Agency, Tekes.
The total funding was 9.25 million euros (FIM 45 million), with the Academy granting 8.07 million euros to the programme, the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry 0.84 million, and Tekes 0.25 million euros.
The ﬁnancing periods for the research projects began in April 2001 and continued until 31 May 2004.
The programme was set up to engage research within the following themes:
• Production and use of renewable raw material
• Development of sustainable nature tourism
• Planning and decision making concerning natural resources
• The use of new research methods like virtual technology, ecological modelling combined with geographic data
The main objectives of the Research Programme on Sustainable Use of Natural Resources that the researchers were supposed to address were:
• to develop interdisciplinary research on the sustainable use of natural resources;
• to promote the transmitting of related research data from its producers to its users;
• to create new national and international research contacts;
• to improve and diversify the sustainable management and use of renewable natural resources;
• to improve decision-making concerning the sustainable use of natural resources; and
• to promote researcher training in the ﬁ eld.