Applications for this thematic call of the Academy of Finland can be submitted in the Academy’s online services as of 1 November 2017. The call closes on 14 December 2017 at 16.15 local Finnish time. The deadline is non-negotiable. The call is a single-stage call.
The Academy’s preliminary funding budget for this call is a total of 5 million euros. The funding to be distributed through this call depends on the Finnish Parliament’s decision to allocate the necessary funds to the Academy of Finland in its budget for 2018.
This is a targeted call aimed at funding basic research and new research initiatives into the energy-efficiency of ICT systems. Examples of research topics:
- co-design and optimisation of energy-efficient algorithms and software and equipment architecture, tools for design and optimisation
- energy efficiency in battery-powered, long-life (10–15 years) systems
- energy-autonomous equipment and systems
- energy-efficiency-related optimisation, trade-offs (spectral efficiency, delay, reliability, information security) and overall control
- energy consumption models for algorithms, software and equipment.
If you want to apply for targeted Academy Project funding, you must (in addition to being the principal investigator of the project) be a researcher at the professor or docent level.
If you do not have an employment relationship with, for example, a university or research institute, you must give an account of how your salary will be covered during the funding period. If your status changes after you have submitted your application, please notify us immediately. These details must be accounted for in the application.
The funding can be applied for by both individual research projects and consortia composed of two or several research teams. Applicants may submit only one application for ICT 2023 funding, including as consortium PI or consortium subproject PI.
Please see the general application guidelines in the Academy of Finland’s September 2017 call text.
If the applicant is a consortium, see detailed guidelines on our website under Guidelines for consortium application. Please note that consortium PIs can submit the consortium application only after all consortium subprojects have completed their applications. The non-negotiable call deadline also applies to consortia. Consortium compositions cannot be changed after the call deadline has expired.
- Senior Science Adviser Juha Latikka, tel. +358 295 335 058, firstname.lastname(at)aka.fi