The Academy of Finland also takes ethical issues into consideration when making funding decisions. Ethical issues are also considered in the scientific review of applications. If a reviewer detects any problems with regard to ethical issues, the applicant is requested to submit an additional account in writing.
Applicants must always describe any relevant ethical aspects in their research plans. If a research permit or a statement by an ethics committee is required for the implementation of the project, applicants must also provide information on the permits or permit applications.
- select Yes or No in the Academy’s online services under “Specify if the project requires a statement by an ethics committee or an animal experimentation permit or equivalent statements or permits”
- always clarify under item 5 of the research plan (Ethical issues) the ethical issues involved in the research
- give details on the research permit or the statement by an ethics committee, if relevant. If the statement or permit has not been acquired, they shall provide an account of when and from what authority it will be acquired. Permits can be applied for after the application has been submitted.
- append to their application a scanned version of a valid statement by an ethics committee or a permit by the Committee on Animal Experimentation (recommendation by the Academy)
- be prepared to provide a copy of the statement or permit upon request
- commit themselves to following the guidelines of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity (“Responsible conduct of research and procedures for handling allegations of misconduct in Finland”, RCR guidelines), as well as good scientific practice and valid legislation.
Sites of research must:
- undertake to oversee that the project follows the guidelines of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity (“Responsible conduct of research and procedures for handling allegations of misconduct in Finland”, RCR guidelines), as well as good scientific practice and valid legislation
- undertake to monitor that the project follows the rules, regulations and recommendations regarding the processing of personal data and ethical issues, and to ensure that all necessary permits have been acquired.