The General Subcommittee of the Academy of Finland decided on 9 November 2017 to invite 33 applicants to the second stage of the Academy Professor call.
Academy Professors are internationally leading-edge researchers and recognised experts in their field who are expected to have great scientific impact in the scientific community and in society at large. They are also expected to significantly advance research in their field and to develop creative research environments.
At the first call stage, the Academy received letters of intent from 193 applicants. The letters of intent were submitted as follows: 30 to the Research Council for Biosciences and Environment, 61 to the Research Council for Culture and Society, 75 to the Research Council for Natural Sciences and Engineering and 27 to the Research Council for Health.
Riitta Maijala, Vice President for Research, said: “Both the letters of intent and the full applications will be reviewed using international peer review. We see from the feedback received from the reviewers that the letters of intent were of a very high scientific quality. This means that the competition was very intense already at the first call stage.”
At present, the Academy of Finland funds 40 five-year research posts as Academy Professor in the fields of the Academy’s research councils.
- Timo Sareneva, Science Adviser, Biosciences and Environment Research Unit, tel. 358 295 335 106
- Hannele Kurki, Senior Science Adviser, Culture and Society Research Unit, tel. +358 295 335 052
- Ritva Taurio, Senior Science Adviser, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Unit, tel. +358 295 335 115
- Sara Illman, Science Adviser, Health Research Unit, tel. +358 295 335 119
- Riitta Maijala, Vice President for Research, tel. +358 295 335 002
Vesa Varpula, Communications Specialist
tel. +358 295 335 131