Nine new Academy Professors
(6th June 2011)
The Board of the Academy of Finland has selected nine new Academy Professors for the period 1 January 2012–31 December 2016. The new Academy Professors are Professors Dennis Bamford (University of Helsinki), Ilkka Hanski (University of Helsinki), Olli Ikkala (Aalto University), Risto Ilmoniemi (Aalto University) Howard Jacobs (University of Tampere), Martti Koskenniemi (University of Helsinki), Olli Raitakari (University of Turku), Riitta Salmelin (Aalto University) and Juha Sihvola (University of Jyväskylä).
The new Academy Professors will start their five-term on 1 January 2012. They represent a wide range of research fields: biological and soft matter physics, cell and molecular biology, clinical medicine, ecology and evolutionary biology, medical engineering, microbiology, law, philosophy, and systematic and cognitive neuroscience.
An Academy Professor is a person who has demonstrated his/her skills and competencies in research and can be regarded as contributing to the progress of research within his/her own field. Academy Professors are in an employment relationship with the universities where they work.
The newly appointed Academy Professors are leading-edge researchers in their own fields, both in Finland and internationally. They all have great potential to achieve major scientific breakthroughs. In their research, they will be tackling questions that are significant for society in a wider perspective.
“These appointments clearly show how high-level and international Finnish researchers are,” says Academy of Finland President Markku Mattila.
At the beginning of 2012, the Academy of Finland will fund in all 41 Academy Professors. The new Academy Professors are presented in the appendix and on the Academy’s website at www.aka.fi/eng > Academy of Finland > Organisation >Academy Professors.
Introduction of the new Academy Professors
- President of the Academy of Finland Markku Mattila, tel. +358 9 7748 8210, +358 40 073 6603
- Vice President, Research, Riitta Mustonen, tel. +358 9 7748 8220, +358 40 724 6153
- Bioscience and Environment Research Unit: Director Laura Raaska, tel. +358 9 7748 8336, +358 50 563 8006, and Science Adviser Timo Sareneva, tel. +358 9 7748 8243, +358 40 771 5374
- Culture and Society Research Unit: Director Pirjo Hiidenmaa, tel. +358 9 7748 8223, +358 40 724 1613, and Senior Science Adviser Raija Matikainen, tel. +358 40 776 9874
- Natural Science and Engineering Research Unit: Director Susan Linko, tel. +358 40 778 2796, and Senior Science Adviser Ritva Taurio, tel. +358 40 147 1750
- Health Research Unit: Director Mikael Fogelholm, tel. +358 50 526 1844, and Science Adviser Sara Illman, tel. +358 040 012 5236
Academy of Finland Communications
Communications Director Maj-Lis Tanner
tel. +358 9 7748 8347, +358 40 729 6736