Academy of Finland selected 15 new Centres of Excellence in Research
(6th June 2011)
The Board of the Academy of Finland has selected new Centres of Excellence (CoE) in Research for 2012‒2017. A total of 15 units, involving research teams from eleven universities or research institutes, were selected to the new Centre of Excellence Programme. The new CoEs will be conducting research in a wide spectrum of research fields, ranging from the interaction between cells and intercellular substance, molecular systems immunology and physiology and Russia’s modernisation to the history of the structures of Finnish society.
The Academy has reserved a total of EUR 45 million for the first three years of the six-year programme term. Funding negotiations with the selected units will start in autumn 2011.
The CoE call attracted a total of 135 letters of intent, of which the Academy’s Board selected 36 to submit full applications. These applications were reviewed by international expert panels. The panels also interviewed unit representatives at meetings organised by the Academy.
In their review, the panels paid special attention to the scientific quality and innovativeness of the research plan. Centres of Excellence in Research are at the cutting edge of research in their respective fields. Half of the selected units are new CoEs and half involve research teams from previous CoE Programmes.
The next CoE call will open in April 2012.
Centres of Excellence in Research 2012‒2017
(director, unit, university)
- Aaltonen, Lauri: Finnish Centre of Excellence in Cancer Genetics Research, University of Helsinki (UH)
- Haapala, Pertti: The History of a Society: Re-thinking Finland 1400‒2000, University of Tampere (UTA)
- Hanski, Ilkka: Finnish Centre of Excellence in Metapopulation Research, UH
- Julin, Rauno: Finnish Centre of Excellence in Nuclear and Accelerator based Physics, University of Jyväskylä (UJ)
- Kivinen, Markku: Finnish Centre of Excellence in Russian Studies – Choices of Russian Modernisation, UH
- Leskelä, Markku: Finnish Centre of Excellence in Atomic Layer Deposition (ALD), UH
- Mappes, Johanna: Finnish Centre of Excellence in Biological Interactions Research, UJ
- Mäki, Uskali: Finnish Centre of Excellence in the Philosophy of the Social Sciences, UH
- Nieminen, Risto: Finnish Centre of Excellence in Computational Nanoscience (COMP), Aalto University (AU)
- Oja, Erkki: Finnish Centre of Excellence in Computational Inference Research, AU
- Oresic, Matej: Finnish Centre of Excellence in Molecular Systems Immunology and Physiology Research, VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland
- Pekola, Jukka: Finnish Centre of Excellence in Low Temperature Quantum Phenomena and Devices, AU
- Pihlajaniemi, Taina: Finnish Centre of Excellence in Cell-Extracellular Matrix Research, University of Oulu (UO)
- Päivärinta, Lassi: Finnish Centre of Excellence in Inverse Problems Research, UH
- Sorjonen Marja-Leena: Finnish Centre in Intersubjectivity in Interaction, UH
- Science Adviser Maiju Gyran, Programme Unit, tel. +358 40 196 2729, maiju.gyran(at)aka.fi
- Science Adviser Timo Sareneva, Bioscience and Environment Research Unit, tel. +358 9 7748 8243
- Science Adviser Riitta Launonen, Culture and Society Research Unit, tel. +358 9 7748 8229
- Science Adviser Helena Vänskä, Culture and Society Research Unit, tel. +358 9 7748 8227
- Science Adviser Maaria Lehtinen, Natural Science and Engineering Research Unit, tel. +358 40 147 1802
- Science Adviser Heikki Vilen, Health Research Unit, tel. +358 40 518 8932
The format for the Academy’s email addresses is firstname.lastname(at)aka.fi.
Contact information for Unit Directors:
- Academy Professor Lauri Aaltonen, UH, tel. +358 9 191 25595, lauri.aaltonen(at)helsinki.fi
- Professor Pertti Haapala, UTA, tel. +358 3 3551 6542, hipeha(at)uta.fi
- Academy Professor Ilkka Hanski, UH, tel. +358 9 191 57745, ilkka.hanski(at)helsinki.fi
- Professor Rauno Julin, UJ, tel. +358 14 260 2426, rauno.julin(at)phys.jyu.fi
- Professor Markku Kivinen, UH, tel. +358 9 191 23654, +358 50 563 6309, markku.kivinen(at)helsinki.fi
- Professor Markku Leskelä, UH, tel. +358 9 191 50195, markku.leskela(at)helsinki.fi
- Academy Professor Johanna Mappes, UJ, tel. +358 14 260 2317, johanna.mappes(at)jyu.fi
- Academy Professor Uskali Mäki, UH, tel. +358 9 191 29298, uskali.maki(at)helsinki.fi
- Professor Risto Nieminen, AU, tel. +358 9 470 23105, risto.nieminen(at)aalto.fi
- Professor Erkki Oja, AU, tel. +358 9 470 23265, +358 400 817 275, erkki.oja(at)aalto.fi
- Research Professor Matej Oresic, VTT, tel. +358 20 722 4491, matej.oresic(at)vtt.fi
- Professor Jukka Pekola, AU, tel. +358 9 470 24913, +358 50 344 2697, pekola(at)boojum.hut.fi
- Professor Taina Pihlajaniemi, UO, tel. +358 8 537 5800, taina.pihlajaniemi(at)oulu.fi
- Professor Lassi Päivärinta, UH, tel. +358 9 191 51456, lassi.paivarinta(at)helsinki.fi
- Professor Marja-Leena Sorjonen, UH, tel. +358 9 191 22893, marja-leena.sorjonen(at)helsinki.fi
Academy of Finland
tel. +358 9 7748 8347, +358 40 729 6736