NB. Unofficial translation from Finnish, binding only in Finnish and Swedish
Adopted in Helsinki on 26 November 2009
Government Decree on the Academy of Finland
In accordance with the decision of Parliament, made on the submission of the Ministry of Education, the following is enacted by virtue of Section 12 of the Act adopted on 20 November 2009 on the Academy of Finland (922/2009):
The Academy of Finland shall have the following research councils:
1) Research Council for Biosciences and Environment;
2) Research Council for Culture and Society;
3) Research Council for Natural Sciences and Engineering;
4) Research Council for Health.
Functioning of the Board and the Research Councils
(1) The Board and the Research Councils shall be convened by the Chair or Vice Chair. The meeting constitutes a quorum when the Chair or Vice Chair and at least half of the other members are present.
(2) Matters shall be decided by a simple majority. If there is a tie, the Chair has the casting vote.
(3) In the Board and in the Research Councils, matters shall be decided upon presentation.
(4) Chairs and members of the Board and Research Councils, excluding the President of the Academy, shall be paid a monthly remuneration that is determined by the Ministry of Education. Chairs and members of subcommittees appointed by the Board, excluding the President of the Academy, may be paid an additional remuneration for membership in a subcommittee. The Academy shall decide on the remuneration.
(1) The Vice President, Research, must hold a doctorate or have completed the requirements for a doctorate, be well versed in research policy planning and have leadership skills proven in practice.
(2) The Vice President, Administration, must hold a higher academic degree and be well versed in administrative duties and have leadership skills proved in practice and experience in leadership.
Appointing and engaging personnel
(1) The Act on the Academy of Finland (922/2009) lays down provisions on the appointment of the President of the Academy. The person who has been appointed to the post of President of the Academy and who already holds a public position, unless for a fixed period of time or a limited period of time, shall have leave of absence from that position for the time he or she holds the post of President of the Academy. The President of the Academy shall have the title of Professor.
(2) Other personnel shall be appointed by the President of the Academy, unless otherwise provided in the rules of procedure.
Provisions on substitutes for personnel other than the President of the Academy shall be given in the standing orders.
Leave of absence
(1) Leave of absence for the President of the Academy shall be granted by the Ministry of Education; however, for a period longer than one year it shall be granted by the Government.
(2) Leave of absence for any other holder of a civil service post and leave of absence for personnel in contractual employment relationships shall be granted by the President of the Academy, unless otherwise provided in the rules of procedure.
Entry into force
This Decree enters into force on 1 January 2010.
Helsinki, 26 November 2009
Minister of Culture and Sport